Turner, F. J. (Ed.). (2017). Social work treatment: Interlocking theoretical approaches (6th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Chapter 4: Cognitive Behavior Theory and Social Work Treatment (pp. 54–79)Chapter 5: Cognitive Theory and Social Work Treatment (pp. 80–95)González-Prendes, A. A., & Thomas, S. A. (2009). Culturally sensitive treatment of anger in African American women: A single case study. Clinical Case Studies, 8(5), 383–402.Graham, M. A., Sauerheber, J. D., & Britzman, M. J. (2013). Choice theory and family counseling: A pragmatic, culturally sensitive approach. Family Journal, 21(2), 230–234. Document:Worksheet: Dissecting a Theory and Its Application to a Case Study (Word document) Document:Theory Into Practice: Four Social Work Case Studies (PDF)
Sommers-Flanagan,J.,&Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2014).Counseling and psychotherapy theories in context and practice[Video file]. Psychotherapy.net.This week, watch the “Behavioral Therapy” and “Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy” segments by watching from 2:04:04- 2:52:18on the time marker.
Gregory, V. L. (2010). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for bipolar disorder: implications for clinical social workers. Journal of Social Service Research, 36(5), 460–469. https://allaplusessays.com/order, V. L. (2010). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for schizophrenia: applications to social work practice. Social Work in Mental Health, 8(2), 140–159. https://allaplusessays.com/order, P., & Knopf, K. (2011). Bridging the gaps: An attempt to integrate three major cognitive depression models. Cognitive Therapy & Research, 35(4), 342–358. https://allaplusessays.com/order(Only read pp. 342–344)Hinton, D. E., & Pollack, M. H. (2009). Introduction to the special issue: Anxiety disorders in cross-cultural perspective. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 15(3), 207–209. doi:10.1111/j.1755-5949.2009.00097.xRobey, P., Burdenski, T. K., Britzman, M., Crowell, J., & Cisse, G. S. (2011). Systemic applications of choice theory and reality therapy: An interview with Glasser Scholars. The Family Journal, 19(4), 427–433. https://allaplusessays.com/order
Assignment: Application of Cognitive Behavior Theory to a Case Study
This week, your theoretical orientation is cognitive behavior theory. You will use the same case study that you chose in Week 2 and have been analyzing in this course. Use the “Dissecting a Theory and Its Application to a Case Study” worksheet to help you dissect the theory. You do not need to submit this handout. It is a tool for you to use to dissect the theory and then you can employ the information in the table to complete your assignment.
In this Assignment, you prepare a 5-minute video case presentation. It is common to present a case analysis in multidisciplinary team meetings or with your supervisor and colleagues. This assignment offers you an opportunity to provide insights and perspectives to a case.
- Use the same case study that you chose in Week 2.
- Read this article listed in the Learning Resources: González-Prendes, A. A., & Thomas, S. A. (2009). Culturally sensitive treatment of anger in African American women: A single case study. Clinical Case Studies, 8(5), 383–402. https://allaplusessays.com/order article provides a nice framework for how the authors’ cognitive-behavioral theoretical orientation shaped the conceptualization of the case and assessment and intervention.
To upload your media for this Assignment, use the Kaltura Media option from the mashup tool drop-down menu. Refer to the Kaltura Media Uploaderarea in the course navigation menu for more information about how to upload media to the course.
By Day 7
Submit a Kaltura video of yourself discussing the client. Your video should be no longer than 5 minutes.
- Although this is a professional presentation, it is not a formal presentation as in a speech. Imagine that you are discussing your case with a group of peers in a meeting. For example, if you stumble a bit, don’t feel you have to record yourself again.
- You can have notes in front of you to help you remember your points.
- However, your video doesneed to be professional. In other words, dress professionally and conduct yourself as if you are in an agency setting with colleagues and supervisors. Be sure to maintain eye contact as if you were speaking in front of your colleagues. Finally, be sure to record yourself in a room that is quiet and where no one interrupts you.
Your video presentation should include the following:
- In 1 to 2 sentences, identify and describe the presenting problem.
- In 1 to 2 sentences, briefly define and conceptualize the problem from a cognitive-behavioral theoretical orientation.
- Formulate 2 assessment questions that you will ask the client to better understand the client’s problem. Remember, the assessment questions should be guided by cognitive-behavioral theory.
- In 1 to 2 sentences, identify two goals for treatment. Again, remember, the goals should be consistent with cognitive-behavioral theory.
- In 1 to 2 sentences, describe the treatment plan from a cognitive-behavioral theoretical orientation. Remember, the treatment plan should align with the goal(s) for work.
- Discuss one outcome you would measure, if you were to evaluate whether the intervention worked, and explain how this is consistent with cognitive behavior theory. Evaluate one merit and one limitation of cognitive behavior theory as it relates to the case study.
- Evaluate the application of cognitive-behavioral theory in relation to a diversity issue pertinent to the case.
Be sure to:
- Identify and correctly reference the case study you have chosen.
- Speak clearly